Maternal Health Consultant
Zambia Integrated Systems Strengthening Program
Nyimba, Eastern Province, Zambia
June 2012 – Present
• Support for training of Safe Motherhood Action Groups (SMAGs) and other Community Health Workers.
• Mobilize communities to promote facility delivery, skilled birth attendants, birth preparedness planning and community-readiness for emergencies .
• Investigate and report on transport, communication, financial, and other barriers that impede women from accessing services.
• Facilitate development and strengthening of facility level staff knowledge, including supply chain management and logistics.
• Assist ongoing monitoring and evaluation efforts.
Community Health and Sanitation Agent
United States Peace Corps
Mali, West Africa
Feb. 2011 – April 2012
• Counseled women on exclusive breastfeeding, prenatal consult, proper nutrition, STIs and HIV/AIDs.
• Appointed as “Stomp Out Malaria” Malaria Month regional captain, providing malaria sensitization materials and support, responsible for regional bed net distribution, maintained activity reports and scoring for country competition, designed incentive scheme for 25 volunteers.
• Conducted bed net checks at 30 family compounds, and encouraged use of treated mosquito nets.
• Determined potential sites for soak pit construction, improved waste water management of latrines, to reduce standing water in communal and high traffic areas.
• Researched funding options to buy medical equipment and hold regional cervical cancer screening.
• Trained more than 40 women in improved gardening through the utilization of moringa, an easy-to-grow, high protein and vitamin-rich tree. Planted more than 1,000 trees.
• Taught host-country service providers how to conduct moringa intercropping training.
Fundraising and Communications Intern
Hazon Yeshaya Humanitarian Network
Sept. 2010 – Jan. 2011
• Compiled contact spreadsheet of potential donors.
• Advised management on social media strategy and utilizing personalized donation websites.
• Created email campaign generating over $60,000 for disaster response for Ein Carmel fire.
Special Events Assistant
Campus Life and University Relations
Wichita State University
Aug. 2009 – May 2010
• Wrote formal speeches, university press releases, internal communications, and staff profiles.
• Coordinated essentials for small and large events: guest lists, programing, literature, food, floral.
• Assisted in administrative tasks, information requests and website maintenance.
Communications and Development Assistant
FAIR Girls (formally FAIR Fund Inc.)
Feb. 2009 – July 2009
• Responsible for marketing and promotional materials, website, social networks, and email list.
• Provided support to coworkers on art therapy projects and income generation activities for survivors and youth at-risk of exploitation.
• Researched and solicited potential foundations, grants, and gifts.
• Assisted in planning annual fundraising gala, raising $30,000 to support safe relationship education.
Nutrition Assistant Volunteer
Aug. 2008 – Jan. 2009
• Administered grocery distribution for HIV/AIDs positive clients with special nutritional needs.
• Provided patients access to case managers, testing, contraception, and other services.
• Assisted with live auction and raffle for ArtAID, annual fundraising event.
Washington Political Experience Scholar
Funded by Senator Robert Dole
Jan. 2008 – May 2008
• Participated in nonpartisan educational panels and networking events focused on policy and politics.
• Interned for the COX News, national bureau of 15 affiliated broadcast stations in the US.
• Interviewed members of congress and experts for broadcast and online news websites.
• Wrote and assisted in editing news content for television and online.
Writer and Producer
ABC News Affiliate KAKE-TV
June 2006 – Aug. 2007
• Wrote and assembled live daily evening newscast, consistently meeting deadlines.
• Managed resource logistics, assigned stories and tasks to reporters, photographers, and interns.
• Researched investigative pieces and leads, analyzing data and reports.
Reporter and Video Journalist
Wichita State University
Aug. 2007 – Dec. 2008
Aug. 2006 – June 2007
• Shot and edited film for weekly 30 minute newscast.
• Wrote and complied video news and feature stories.
• Anchored and produced voice-overs for live broadcast and taped pieces.
B.A. in Communication, Cum Laude, 2008
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas
Area of Concentration: Broadcast Journalism
Minor: Political Science
Technical Skills and Training
Software: Adobe Final Cut, Photo Shop, InDesign, Illustrator; Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel; HTML editing; website content management systems: Drupal, WordPress, proprietary systems.
Training: Fundraising Planning, Prospect Research, Grantseeking Basics; Video storytelling and editing
Languages: English: native speaker; French (West Africa): speak, read, and write with intermediate proficiency; Bambara (Mali): speak, read, and write with intermediate proficiency.
Awards and Honors
Elliott School of Communication Outstanding Broadcast Journalism Graduate 2008
Elliott School of Communication Newswriting Merit Award 2008
Kansas Association of Broadcasters, 2nd Place award for Hard News 2007
Dean’s List Spring 2005, Spring 2006, Fall 2007; Commendation Fall 2006, Spring 2008